Friday 16 February 2007

Busy Lunar New Year Weekend Ahead!

Okay...so tomorrow I've got another hike finally decided on to Bukhansan National Park in Seoul. Am really excited coz Ive seen it but not walked up it yet and it looks pretty stunning.
Its Lunar New Years Day on Sunday and the hagwon where I work have just told me that I've got an extra day off on Tuesday which Im well pleased about! In a way Im gutted that I didnt know earlier as me and a mate were planning on going to China for a few days and four days would have been perfect if only I'd have known ! Anyway..it's far to late to get a visa now and I've got commitments sorted now too. Plus! The Nam family have invited me around to make Mandu on Sunday and I cant say no to that !

Last time I went round to their home I watched in awe as Mrs Nam (the leading woman of the household) made kimchi with her friends on their living room floor. Kitted out in marigolds and aprons they all sat in a big circle cross legged and urged me to join them on their big plastic sheet :) It was such a cool thing to watch and do in my managers home and I was looked after all day and shared nice freshly cooked food before we all headed off to the jimjilbang. Rubys brother and girlfriend are chefs and Mrs Nams cooking tastes amazing! We ate fresh, bolied pork wrapped in lettuce leaves (similar to saemgaepsal) but with fresh oysters and kimchi in it. Im not a fussy eater but the fresh oysters...nah ! Not for me Im afraid. I think they look like big bogeys. And probably taste like them too.

This Nam family have been so kind and have really made this experience so far for me. I love the way that the family seems to be out here. Maybe not all korean families are like this but this one has been so nice to see. They spend so much time with one another working together, living together, playing together, it's amazed me how close they are together. I think that England could learn alot from South Korea about what the family really means. It's made me realise what's really important and it's just a shame that families in the U.K arent as knitted together as these over here. Its been so interesting to see how the family dynamics work here and also to explore the different roles men and women play here. I know I cant generalise just by spending time with one korean family and I know that all korean men aren't probably as committed to their families as this one but Mr Nam...there's one man here that i really respect! I can tell by just spending time with his lovely wife and family that he's nurtured, cherished and brought that family up with so much love, time, respect and care. The way he looks at them and talks to them you can really tell he's really proud of what he's made with his wife. As for Mrs Nam...I LOVE that woman. She seems so, so strong and I really respect her. She's someone I dont think Ill ever forget and I really look up to her. She seems to wear the trousers sometimes and she's so matriarchal. She's helped to carry that family and it shows. I can tell they've brought up a lovely family that they're proud of. They all live together and when I went round the first time Rubys brother was helping out around the house on the beck and call of the women making kimchi bringing tupperware boxes to them and carrying them out when they were full. I was quite amused as they were shouting for him to take their orders ! lol. Rubys sister Sunny and her husband have been good to me too :) Theyve taken me up to Seoul to palaces and out or food and to museums and for tea with the kids. They've been lovely to be with. The kids are great too and being in school today has made me just realise how lucky I am to be here and what an amazing job Ive really got here. Although I've got no books to work from and have been planning my own lessons out here (yes ! my OWN for four months !) I'm loving it now Ive settled in and I just feel so lucky :). God's been amazing. He's planned this for me and I feel so so lucky.

Today also gave me a glimpse of what spring is gonna be really like :) Its been a lovely day. Sunny, blue skies, cool breezes through the hagwon overlooking gwandeoksan mountain...its been bliss and Im really excited about what else I've got to look forward to out here. It a different experience to any other Ive had before. Its not a mad party capital and Im not out every night 'till the early hours of the morning but I didnt want this trip to be like that. For those of you who know me know well enough that Ive done enough partying to last me a lifetime ! :)

This experience is so like being in a spiritual hospital like I told a few of you in my latest group email. Its nice just to chill out, enjoy the surroundings I've been called to and the people that are being put into my paths. Its exciting :) Will keep you posted.

No comments: