Thursday 22 February 2007

Up the Prayer Mountain

I heard about these prayer mountains before I came out here from my mate Vicky and it was one of the things I was looking forward to the most. On Tuesday I decided that I'd use my last, unexpected day off in search of the prayer mountain linked to the full gospel church in Yeouido. I got up later than Iwanted because I was so tired from not stopping all weekend but I eventually got to Seoul, took the subway (many wrong stop offs and time delays I have to say coz I kept dozing off on the sub !) but... i eventually got there to Yeouido and asked someone for directions to the Full Gospel Church. I took a nice walk along the entrance of Hangang Park and decided to get a taxi the rest of the way as I'd stupidly put on my gorgeous six inchers. I used to be so hardcore when it came to wearing high shoes. Now I think Im loosing it girls ! (lol)

Anyway, the taxi driver was really sweet and he gave me a free lift about two seconds from where I'd got in the taxi pointing out the huge church. I had to wait an hour for the next bus up the mountain but the guards were really friendly in there and took me to the bus stop. I kind of expected the mountain to be really out of the way in the middle of nowhere and really high up, hidden in the peaks but to my suprise it was more of a retreat cetntre. It was really last minute of me to even go (and I had nothing with me at all) but as I was waiting for the bus to arrive to take us up the prayer mountain I realised that the last bus back to the church was at 9pm and it was 3.30 pm at the time we were all getting picked up to go. I really wanted to stay longer so I thought Id maybe stay the night. When the bus pulled in to the centre about an hour later the korean woman Id been sat next to shouted over to one of the guards who worked at the prayer mountain. He called me to follow him and the english speaking koreans told me to follow him as I was a foreigner and had to stay in different accomodation. I was like 'Heeeeyyyyy wait a minute I dont even know if i wanna stay yet et me check this place out first' but i followed him anyway coz I guessed that he'd lead me to someone who could tell me a bit more about the place where I was ! Ive studied a bit about cults and wanted to be sure you know !? lol.

He took me to Love House (in fact he was walking ahead at quite a speed ) and in my beautiful heels I trip trapped after him trying to keep up. The worker in there was really nice and so was the accomodation so I decided to stay and use my last night up wisely. What better way to use up my last night than to chill out with God for a bit? There was a lot I needed to pray about to him. My room was really big and comfortable and after Id checked it out I went off to explore. The place has a big meeting 'sanctuary' and lots of different little chapels everywhere, grottos to sleep in (like little biro huts all built in together), a little mini farm with ostritches, deer/antelope/reindeer things, birds, rabbits and dogs (BIG dogs :( ) Theres a big park for kids and a little running track and the place was really nice. I ate in the restaurant and had a nice walk and tried to relax in the surroundings. It got dark pretty quick and so I went to check out the worship service in the sanctuary. It was amazing. There was a lot of older people there, mainly older women who were sat and lay on the floor on bedding and sleeping mats. I was so gutted that I culdnt understand any of the service but I really met with God and the worship was nice to hear. I think I may have caught some kind of special worship conference there maybe.

After the service I walked around the campus. The stars were out and the beautiful graveyard overlooking the place was full of korean voices singing out and praying. Some screaming, some crying, some crying out really loud in tongues. It reminded me of the garden of Gethsemene which a lot of the grottos were named after and I ventured up there at one point before I went to sleep and sat on a cement bench just listening to the voices of people screaming and calling out to God. It was so amazing. God really spoke to me about a lot of things I'm having problems with right now and simial verses in the bible really stuck out for me all night in the sanctuary. It was amazing to see so many praying out to God and walking around the centre after the service was amazing too. The grottoes in the night were all lit up and I just stood outside the doors listening to people praying, crying , screaming.

The cemetary at the top of the mountain was pretty freaky and one of the men up there sounded like he was being excorcised but another woman was close by powerfully praying her words in tongues and the two seemed to balance it out.I've got to say it was a bit freaky at times alone. I think it's because I just dont understand a word of korean and it added to the alienness of it all! I decided to go and get an early night and I thought that Id had enough coffee that night so I went back to my room, soaked my tired feet (from my very gorgeous shoes :) ) and prayed and read my bible. Thinking that Id have a really relaxing nights sleep I rested my head and hoped to fall asleep.I dont sleep a wink though. Not a wink. The noises in that place were amazing and I couldnt sleep one bit. The noises were really something and they lasted all night. I didnt appreciate it at the time but I prayed to myself worrying that without my alarm on my phone I wouldnt get up in the morning for the 7am bus back to Seoul. I know if I ever go up there again It'll be when Im not teaching the next day for sure ! For someone foreign to go there and not be religious...I reckon it could be quite a scary place at night. I think they'd crap themselves.

It was an amazing experience but I wouldnt go again on my own. To just go and pray though to God and not mind being woken up all night long or not even getting any sleep at all -its amazing. God really met with me even though and Im really glad I went. Despite me not wanting to go back alone I think I really needed to that night.

Just me and God alone up a prayer mountain.

Will add some pics when i get my camera developed!

No comments: