Sunday 1 April 2007

Hagwon Life











So Thursday was just another Thursday this week and I got in at 1.30 where my little students were all waiting for me under the kind, collected control of Terry. Terry's such a lovely lady, really patient but strict too. The kids really listen to her. The kids in this group are just adorable and so tiny. The youngest is about 5 and they are so funny to teach. I have such a laugh with them playing games and teaching them songs and stuff and it makes me laugh how different in character they all are. I've got Emily or Amy Lee (it gets confusing sometimes !) who Ive written about before- she's so boystrous and cheeky, confident and gives the boys a good telling off when due :) Then theres little Eric who is so quiet he barely talks but works when the rest do and is so, so cute.There's also Rachel who tells me Ive spelt her name wrong everytime I put it on the board and who still hasn't figured out that I dont understand Korean and doesn't understand what to do in class even when the rest of the kids explain. She's cute too though! Then theres John..another cutie who usually sits at the back of the class with Daniel, usually has a bit of banter with Emily giving her an odd pinch or two (making her cry the other day :( ) Then theres Daniel whos a little monster at times and nearly knocks me out with the ball we play with when practicing new vocab...thinks its hilarious. These kiddies are ace! Sure you'll agree looking at the pics :)

Later I chiled out with Wendy and Sujan in JCK. Sujan is really seeing me more as her chingu I think and Im pretty happy coz like Ive explained before to see her everyday and not be able to communicate with her like we both want can be really hard sometimes. Wendy and her get on really well but have a good barney every now and again either ending in laughter or tears.

My Favourite time in the hagwon is at about 5pm. The land behind the school is so lovely. Dont get me wrong, its not the best view Ive seen but theres something about the atmosphere behind the school that has me going to that back window at every opportunity just to peer out onto the few mountain peaks and the muddy fields.If you saw it you might not probably get me at first but after a few moments sitting by that window I think you'd feel how nice and calm the atmosphere is even on a dull rainy day. Stephen commented in the first few weeks he started that I looked like a caged bird looking out of the window all the time and it made me think a lot about how much time I spend sitting by that window. Watching the sun go down though at 5/6 ish is just such a tranquil, peaceful, beautiful time and I always feel so blessed to have the hagwon Im in after watching that.Mrs Nam says that in a few years the land will be built upon with brand new apts and I think its realy sad so Im trying to simply enjoy it and am looking forward to late spring when the ears of corn will be high enough to run and get lost in. Knowing that the land will never be seen again in this way in the amber hue of each different sunset makes me feel really priviledged. Watching the sun go down over the dry soil makes me smile knowing that what Im watching will never be seen again by anyone in that exact same light and its my private time of the day to unwind a little before my last classes.

The kids play and run about on the fields looking carefree and happy and it makes me sad sometimes about the kids Ive come across back at home. The kids who Ive come across who have barely a yard to play in, the kids who live on bad estates where theres not much choice but to just hang out at bus stops and so on. Its nice to see though. Just different and it tugs at my heart strings sometimes. The kids in the hagwon all seem pretty lucky (if thats the right word I should use ?). According to the teachers I work with they all come from healthy nuclear families with both parents still in tact, good jobs, nice houses, happy lives, no money problems. Its nice to see no problems but I wonder where the problems are in Korea sometimes. I know there are problems but the experience of Korea Ive had so far has been far from problematic. Thats where the compassionate ministries comes in for me and Ive decided that I need to start getting involved with things that I came out here for. Im just gonna pray God will really use me out here to minister to others in need. Afterall, I know that Korea is definately not problem free in terms of social issues it just seems that Ive been shielded from it somehow since Ive got here. Ive learnt alot though and its shown me how amazing it is to have a secure, healthy family and how much I really want that in the future.

No comments: