Friday 23 March 2007

Sleeping like Tramps




I thought that my coldest night in Korea had gone but boy was I wrong!

Last night me Cara, Jackie and Sarah jumped in a taxi to Taejosan backpacks and all with the idea in mind to sleep up the mountain after a bit of gentle night hiking. When we reached the entrance we were unfortunatly met by a night guard who wouldnt let us up the mountain. Jackie phoned a mate who could interpret correctly for us but still it was no good coming back with the answer of just 'No'. We were pretty gutted and Jackies cunning plan for next time is to hide in the trees. Haaaaaaaaaaaaa. Can just imagine us all hiding in trees man. Haaaa.

Anway we decided to go to a local mountain near Jackies instead so jumped into another taxi and hiked a little to a rather bright spot with a brand new pagoda. We lay down our stuff, the girls properly equiped with sleeping bags, silly me with a throw...I figured that my duvet would be too big to put in my dinky backpack so I grabbed my throw and loads of layers thinking Id be warm enough. Whoa was I wrong.At first it was pretty warm and really nice with the sound of the rain drops hitting the fresh ground up there but after we'd all dozed off into our dreaming I awoke with a soaking wet face and my body shaking incontrollably.The wind had carried the rain and I was sprayed with moisture. Cara next to me and Sarah on the other side I checked my watch. Only 1am. I tried to go back to sleep moaning to myself in my frozen state. I awoke again and checked the time 3am. Only 3am ! This time I was even more soaked and the little throw Id brought barely covered me. My leg went completely numb and by this point I couldnt feel my feet :) haha. I tried getting some sleep being woken every half an hour or what seemed it, not really sleeping...I realised that everyone else was wrapped up warm around me in waterproof sleeping bags. Waterproof. I was lay there with a little tiny throw with a wet coat over my head and an either freezing cold front or a freezing cold back depending on the side I lay on. I was so so so cold.And felt such a muff. At the point where I didnt think I could get any colder I woke Jackie up to see if she had any more clothes, I already had on a vest top, three jumpers, my walking pants, a major thick pair of socks, a coat over my head and a throw but I was still shaking!

Not wanting to wake anyone up I eventually woke Jackie who gave me some more socks, some mitts and another jumper.I got the courage to stand up and put on my ajuma winnie the pooh pyjama bottoms and another of Jackies body warmers. I felt like the michelin man. Sarah then kindly opened her sleeping bag up and let me share the warmth from that. It was a serious COLD, WET night but funny now Ive got warm back at home. It makes me shiver think about it !

NEVER AGAIN! (until summer anyway!)

1 comment:

betsy said...

yeah, jo, you are HARDCORE! glad you survived with all your limbs still intact. count me in on the summer sleepover!